Kendall Shaw is a New Orleans-born painter whose career has spanned a number of art styles—ranging from Abstract Expressionism to Pop Art to Minimalism to Pattern and Design to Color Field—with heightened emotion, pattern, shape, and vivid color predominant. Shaw’s work includes a series of thirty paintings based on the Torah of the Old Testament, as well as recent work with pure colors that he terms “Cajun Minimalism.”
Ten Things I Can’t Do Without
- Another person with whom I share my life.
- Light. Sunlight on grass.
- My cane or a crutch, now that my knee is cartilage deprived.
- A common language. English. Conversation, prose, poetry.
- Heat, lots of it here in a New York winter.
- Shelter. This Brownstone away from Manhattan was for gentle, lovely Frances.
- Painting, making art.
- My studio. Once I had one in then lively SOHO. Sold it to care for Frances 24/7.